Feeling grounded and peaceful often requires slowing down and increasing our awareness of our inner selves as well as our environment. Although this is important throughout the year, summer is a great time to live our life differently.
- Alternate busy and quiet weekends. If you and your family have activities planned, be sure to allow downtime before and after the activity. This will allow everyone to not feel rushed and transition more smoothly into each moment.
- When planning a vacation, often we all become even busier with last minute things to attend to both before leaving for vacation or before returning to work or school after vacation. Allow yourself and your children some time before leaving for a trip to avoid any of you feeling frantic just before leaving for a trip. Similarly, provide extra time for transitioning back to home life after being away.
- Break old patterns of feeling overwhelmed with life responsibilities and tasks. When this happens allow yourself to get outside, spend time with nature where you are likely to feel energized. When you return indoors, you will likely feel rejuvenated and ultimately will be more productive.
- Be conscious of time wasters such as social media and limit mindless temptations. For example, keep electronics consistently in one place rather than with your person. Remove apps that make it easy to get lost in an endless stream of information.
- Have music playing in your home regularly. Keep everyone’s favorites close by and take turns surprising each other with their favorite music.
- Make a determination to do something creative once per week. Many people report feeling rejuvenated when they are being creative. Have supplies for creativity readily available and allow yourself the time to engage in the creative process regularly.